Job Title: Brewer & Distiller
Reporting to: Master Distiller
Job Type: Full Time
Salary: Competitive salary based on experience
Location: Winchester Distillery, Old Alresford, Hampshire, SO24 9DH
Winchester Distillery is an award-winning spirits producer launching six years ago as the first craft distillery in Hampshire. It is best known for producing Twisted Nose Gin from its base in the heart of Hampshire's watercress beds a few miles outside the city.
In an exciting period of growth that will allow the distillery to produce spirits in new categories including rum, brandy and whisky, an experienced brewer & distiller is now required to help grow production capability, lead new product development and run the day-to-day distillery operations.
Purpose of role:
- To manage the production of all Winchester Distillery's products, playing the key role in the full production operation.
- To maintain a clean, safe and healthy production environment within the distillery at all times.
- To further refine and deliver our range of spirits, including assisting the master distiller and sales team in new product development.
- To ensure all production practices at the Winchester Distillery are compliant with the relevant HMRC, Health & Safety and Food Safety regulations with a goal to obtaining SALSA certification.
- To act as a representative of the distillery at UK and international events and to play an ambassadorial role in consumer events and trade education.
- Own the full production process including processing raw materials, fermentation, distillation, blending, bottling, labelling and packing.
- Maintain a process log and stock management system recording every phase of the production process to ensure the liquid meets quality standards.
- Design and follow relevant processes, procedures and health and safety measures and train other members of the team as required.
- Manage day-to-day operations at the distillery to include production, waste management, stock checks and movement of goods.
- Work with the master distiller and sales team to ensure all activities are completed ahead of time and coordinated with any planned events taking place.
- Work with the master distiller to develop new products as required and in line with the agreed brand and commercial direction.
- Hold the recipes associated with our existing range of spirits and take ongoing steps to maintain and improve their quality.
- Maintain cleanliness, hygiene, housekeeping and food safety standards in the distillery, performing required batch and equipment checks.
- Timely and accurate completion of required reports and HMRC duty documentation.
- Join a young, well-funded business at an exciting time of growth
- Become an authority on world spirits both from a historical perspective and from a contemporary viewpoint.
- Lead the development of innovative new products aimed at an international audience.
- Minimum diploma in Brewing & Distilling or equivalent.
- Relevant experience in raw materials processing, fermentation, distillation, rectification and compounding.
- Methodical and logical with exceptional attention to detail.
- Strong computer skills, process management, mathematical and reporting skills with the ability to manage and report on processes in a clear and concise manner.
- Self-starter with a willingness to take ownership of the role.
- Strong sensory skills and knowledge of relevant techniques required to lead the evaluation and tasting of spirits.
- Travel across the UK and abroad to support our brand growth.